Thursday, January 13, 2011

Striving for Balance

So despite the colossal meal from last night, I still lost nearly half a pound. The beauty of protein! All that's great, but I'm noticing a troubling pattern. The temptation to skimp on lunch to support a larger dinner is resulting in some unwanted side effects. Simply put, I'm voraciously hungry around mid-afternoon, wimpy in the gym, then overstuffed after dinner. Easy solution, right? Eat more during the day. My theory is, subconsciously I'm hoarding my points to keep from going to bed hungry. Knowing how the body craves fuel after a crucial workout, I'm ensuring that I don't starve at night. In the process, some workouts have been sabotaged by lack of fuel. A healthy balance must be found. My goal is to allocate an additional 3-5 points to each afternoon.

Today was the toughest of the bunch. My Lean Cuisine was comically horrific. Do yourselves a favor and burn any Glazed Chicken meals you have wasting space in your freezer. It lacked any flavor, the "glaze" was more than likely water+cornstarch+food coloring, and it just wasn't enough. Couple that with the fact that I had to sit through a meeting for which a dozen Papa John pizzas was ordered, and let's just say my afternoon was torturous. Thankfully I was able to lean on my buddy Stevo for some moral support and advice on almonds vs. raisins for a snack. Four 16oz bottles of water helped slightly, as well. It can only get better from here.

Food Log:

Breakfast:
South Beach bar - 4pts
Yogurt - 3pts

Lunch:
Watered Chicken Lean Cuisine - 5pts
Pretzels - 5pts
Fiber 1 bar -4pts

Snack(s):
Banana - free
Almonds - 3pts
Cliff bar - 7pts
(I eat these an hour or two before workouts)

Dinner:
2c Ted's Gumbo - 10pts
2 cans tuna w/ mayo - 3pts
1 sandwich thin - 2pts
2 servings hashbrowns - 2

48/49

Worked biceps and triceps, core, and spent 15 minutes on the elliptical.

Side note - Do yourself a favor and check out "Three Legged Workhorse" by This Will Destroy You if you're into post-rock instrumental.

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding. May I suggest some "real" food instead of breakfast bars; boiled "Eggland" egg and 2 slices of Canadian bacon (4pts). That with yogurt would make a substantial and portable breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, work on having protein more. You should have it in every meal and for snacks to keep away the hunger and lack of energy for workouts. Maybe smaller meals about 4-6 times a day that are protein rich. I became a big lover of turkey jerky from Trader Joe's. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete