Wednesday, January 12, 2011

As I Lay Digesting

I'm going to pull my best Faulkneresque stream of consciousness tonight and give you the run down in a few run on sentences. This was as repeat of a day last week, and the Subway 6 incher had a chance at redemption. I took more time to craft this sandwich and the result did not disappoint. Six inch turkey on wheat, with processed american cheese, **lite mayo**, and a farm's worth of vegetables on top. Interestingly, this was the same conservative, healthy meal I've had for the last week and a half, but the effect on my body was quite different. Two hours after lunch, I was over taken by a hunger to intense and irrational, it reminded me of the times I have consumed half a large pizza, only to be starving an hour later. It had all the signs of a sugar crash, but none of the setup. Confusing as it was, I decided to to combat this hunger with the Great Red Pear. Juicy, soft, and sweet, this pear outperformed the asian pear of a week ago, but was no match for my hunger pains. Only thing left to do was drink a couple liters of water. That actually seemed to do the trick. For dinner, my wife had the brilliant idea of serving breakfast. This meal stumped me, because in the end, I ate what appeared to be a full size frittata, a full plate of hash browns, and three sausage links. I actually reached the point of being uncomfortably full, and frankly was sick of eating. Those egg beaters and turkey sausage must be made of splenda, ice chips, and puffs of air. All told, dinner amounted to 16 points! Inconceivable. What does a man do with a full belly and 11 remaining points? Why, he drinks bourbon, of course!

Food Log:

Breakfast:
-South Beach bar - 4pts
-yogurt - 3pts

Lunch:
-6 inch sub - 9pts
-pretzels - 3pts
-Fiber 1 bar - 4pts

Dinner:
-5 egg omelette with mushrooms, peppers, onions, turkey sausage bits - 9pts
-3 turkey sausage links - 3pts
-4 servings hashbrowns - 4pts
(literally two full plates of food)

Dessert:
-1.5 double bourbons (sounds better than 3 single bourbons)- 9pts

48/49

1 comment:

  1. My understanding from the low-carb eating days, is that digestion of certain carbohydrates such as flour(white or even whole grain) for bread, pretzels, dough of half a pizza, etc. can create a blood sugar spike similar to the spike you'd get from eating an equivalent amount of sugar alone, which may explain the 'setup' for that crash feeling. It's science...

    Keep up the good work Matty. What kind of bourbon you sippin on?

    ReplyDelete