Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The McGriddles - Paul's Donuts Conundrum

You know you've lost a bit of the verve when you lose a couple pounds back to back and decide to reward yourself with a McDonalds McGriddles combo. Actually, that combo only amounts to 19 points, which is really fine if you're willing to go heavy on the salad and lean protein for dinner. Unfortunately, the company bought a few boxes of Paul's Donuts for our company meeting. I know of no Richmond analog to Paul's donuts. They achieve this heavenly, thick near-crispy exterior texture balancing a dense, yet tender interior. And they're so damn rich. I think they use a couple secret spices like nutmeg and cinnamon in the dough. Anyway, they have this smell that elicits a physio-chemical response that I can only guess is akin to what a heroin junky feels when he sees a bag of the white stuff. I had just eaten 19 points for breakfast and was fighting the urge to stuff two of the 'nuts in my mouf. Wha?

Thankfully, one of the beautiful things about dieting and eating in a generally healthy manner is that your body grows accustomed to healthy, nutritious fuel. And along those same lines, your body doesn't quite know how to react to violently sugary foods. I nearly fell asleep while watching our ISO-required 7 Levels of ESD protection video. What would happen if I chased one delicious confectionery with another? They might have to put me on a stretcher. It was just the push I needed to ward off the donuts. What a battle of wills.

Tomorrow, I ride.

Food Log:

Breakfast:
sausage, egg, and cheese McGriddles combo - 19

Lunch:
Lean Cuisine angel hair with marinara - 6
pretzels - 4
snack bar - 4

Snack:
apple

Dinner:
1/4 pound turkey burger - 8
corn on the cob - 2
salad - 4
bourbon - 6
ice cream - 4

57/44

No comments:

Post a Comment